Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Yeah, what he said...

Live Fast Die. from FBM BMX on Vimeo.



Very slowly, LeastMost is more and more becoming one of my frequently visited BMX-related sites. I came across this article, which linked you to a contribution on GoogleBooks. On a side note, did anybody else know that GoogleBooks existed? Although I like to say I'm on sabbatical from just about everything besides riding, the link has two essays (with a few pages missing so you actually buy the book) that center around BMX. These start on page 145 and 153. Basically it is a critical and very scholarly assessment of BMX and the action sports movement. I always thought that it would be interesting to examine the popularity of action sports in conjunction with the ethos of American values, traditional sports, and yes, even social relationships between the different classes of Americans. But according to the second essay by Kyle Kusz's, we're all just a bunch of angry white men. Yep, even you Anthony! Well, that's not really the case, but the focus of his argument is that as a result of pressures brought on from marginalized groups, white people are trying to carve a new identity that is distanced from the normal understanding of white people as oppressive, subversive, conservative, and materialistic. Action sports give us an outlet in which we can rebel from this stereotype and create our own paths. Interesting enough, this "new" identity tends to follow more traditional qualities that celebrate American heroes. These include exploring new frontiers, physical prowess, and of course, pulling off feats unthinkable to your average putz; in short, being LEGENDARY! Yet most of this searching and building appears to resort back to white people fearing that marginalized people are infiltrating their institutions, but instead of jobs and neighborhoods, it reflects upon the institution of traditional American sports. Do we consider action sports a radical or reactionary pastime as a result of backlashes and critiques of white dominance? I guess that's for you to write up your own rebuttal in the form of a scholarly essay.

I'm not sure I really agree with Kusz, but he does make some interesting points about the way BMX and action sports are becoming popular and carving their niche into American culture. He also uses "Live Fast, Die" as a resource for his research. I wonder if there will be a day in which Albert St. and Criminal Mischief will be available at the McHenry Library at UCSC.

If you've made it this far, between watching a full length FBM video, navigating hyperlinks that are often a rarity on this site, and discovering my inner nerd, then good reader, you are in luck! Here is a picture of me oppressing my white ass on a ledge in Kookertino. Good thing I didn't have Chipotle across the street before this spot, or I would've been leaking TabASSco sauce!


But wait, we're still not done. First, you readers have until Friday to comment as to which Salinas is better. Currently, George and Mario are neck and neck with a whopping one vote each. This isn't like voting for the President or anything, so take into consideration that your vote actually matters. Also, I now have wireless set up at my house, so this entire post was conducted while taking a shit. Like the American frontiersman, I'm using my Logger account to break through the barriers of social constraints and upset the natural balance of decency and blogging. Toodles!

1 comment:

  1. so basically what those dudes are sayin is... "they took our jobs!!"

    ReplyDelete