Saturday, July 17, 2010

X-Games 16: Pirhana Double Backflips



It's hard to imagine my world of BMX without the X-games. X-games 16 is a mere week or two away, and apparently Andy Buckworth is going to try and step on Anthony Napolitan's dick with a no-handed double front flip on the mega-ramp. Had it not been for those two hour broadcasts captivating my heart with vert ramps, spins, and flips, not to mention nourishing my hunger for Taco Bell, Mountain Dew, and Pizza Hut, I would probably spend most of my time blogging about video games, Star Wars, collecting action figures, or maybe even making a difference in the world. For many, this was their first taste of excitement, which led to their first bite of BMX. And as my interest for the X-games dwindled over the years, my appreciation for the riders and the contest's function in the mainstream world is still remarkably high.

Yet as I lay on my couch nursing my tease of a left knee, I had the opportunity to watch X-Games: The Movie instantly on Netflix. Although they showcase the most X athletes who drive the contest today, I find it hard to grasp BMX as the competitively driven lifestyle they portray. My favorite quote, which was bound to rattle my inner college student was "Who needs an A in history, when you can get an X." It's unfortunate to see that mainstream focuses on action sports (BMX was largely left out of the movie) embellish this sexy competitive warrior image, when really the large majority of riders are just nerds who don't dig team sports. Plus it was disappointing to see a lot of the movie's focus on motor sports such as Moto-X and rally car, whereas skateboarding, BMX, and by golly even Rollerblading were the core sports that kept the original event afloat. And as demonstrated by the opening credits, I sure hope they do not pursue X-Games: The Musical. Unless, of course, it is directed and choreographed by Andrew Lloyd SHREDDER! To close this rant, Pat Leahy depicts a much more realistic portrayal of BMX that somehow the average viewer doesn't seem to notice. Through this edit, he reminds us that we can still train for the X-games at your local lake, while being a peeping Tom at the same time. Win/win, right?

Stumble Bums from Pat Leahy on Vimeo.

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Seeing Stricker and Paul Buchannan ride a sketchy downhill sixpack in the x-games is probably has as much to do with what I am doing these days as anything.

    I heard Buckworth plans to jump up and down on it. I think the new Scotty Cranmer sigature shoe is called "The Dick Steppers" though. Waffle print bro.

    ReplyDelete